lunes, mayo 07, 2012

Baking my Macbook Pro - twice

A month ago my macbook pro stopped working.
I went to an Apple Store and they told me the motherboard logic was died and a new one cost 526 $.

Then a friend told me about to use the oven to fix the issue; yes weird but, after do some searchs in google and find the following video, I tried and it worked!!!



Recipe:  7.30 minutes (in the minute 2.30, open a little bit the oven door).
              350 degrees Fahrenheit


My MBP started working properly again but after a whole month with no problems it broke again :(

So, last night I baked it again and it works!

Some research:


In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase (mine has 4 years and a month), a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

The reason for the high failure rate was because of faulty solder material; when the GPU heated up and then cooled over its use, particularly when used in GPU intensive operations like games, the solder would become soft when hot, and when cool, that solder would crack, causing failure in the 8600M GT, 8600M GS, 8400M GT, and 8400M GS cards. It is widely acknowledged that these cards have a universal design flaw. It has also been speculated that mobile cards prior to the GeForce 8M series like the GeForce Go 7600 and earlier also have this design flaw, although it has not been proven.

An Apple support page describes this problem on some of the MacBook Pro laptops, manufactured in 2007-2008:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Thus, I will be baking my macbook pro until the next macbook pro release, I will buy a new one as soon as possible.
 

No hay comentarios: